Friday, November 17, 2006

Project Literacy

Ever since my move and my deluge of free time, I've managed to do more reading and more writing. I think I've read more books in the last few months than I had in a long time. Plus, I'm reading the New York Times. Ok, I'm only reading the sunday New York Times. PS, this past week I finished both the crossword and the acrostic. Ok, my boyfriend helped a little.

I've updated the sidebar on what I've been reading lately. I finished the book State of Fear by Michael Crichton a while ago. It's essentially a "thriller" that disproves the harmful effects of global warming. I didn't really have anything to say about it except that I was surprised that the right wing didn't greenlight a movie version of the book to pile against Gore's Truth. It's essentially formulaic Crichton that always leaves me wishing he still wrote like Jurassic Park. I started but quickly stopped reading Front Runner. I tend to dislike gay themed literature because it's usually stupid. But this was a classic and so I was surprised that I just couldn't get into it. It just wasn't the right time for me what with the amendment and all. I just kept rolling my eyes at the main character and thinking "Gracious, just come out already."

This time around, I'm doing the juggling act - three books at the same time. I'm halfway through We Were the Mulvaney's by Joyce Carol Oates but I hadn't finished it before I promised to give it to my mom to read. I like Joyce - shitty things happen to her dark characters. I started Barack Obama's latest book The Audacity of Hope. Now that Russ Feingold isn't running for president in 2008, I must get aquainted with this man. And lastly, I am neck deep in an odd and rambling story called The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian - an apocalyptic drama set in its title place seen through the eyes of a disgruntled medical student. Having a medical background makes the story incredibly funny. A sort of been-there-done-that without the end of the world.

I am an impulse buyer and a book whore and so I discovered that my crack house is Barnes and Noble. Hard cover books everywhere with shiny pretty covers. I picked up The God Delusion and a CSI board game and Josh Groban's newest CD just the other day before regaining consciousness in the parking lot. Send help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home